Long Island is known throughout the world for its fine wines. Not all of the wineries participate in competitions, but those that do consistently bring home top honors. Following is a list of some recent nationwide competitions and the awards that Long Island wineries received.
2011 New York Wine & Food Classic competition — August, Watkins Glen, NY
This year’s competition included 726 New York wines and 15 spirits from the Long Island, Hudson Valley, Finger Lakes, Niagara Escarpment, Lake Erie, and other regions of New York State.
• Governor’s Cup, Top Prize
Martha Clara Vineyards 2010 Riesling won the Governor’s Cup trophy. This coveted award recognizes the Best of Show or top prize of all 741 entries in the Classic, known as The Oscars of New York wine. On its way to the top, the 2010 Riesling was also voted Best White Wine, Best Overall Riesling and Best Medium Sweet Riesling.
• Best of Class Merlot: Osprey’s Dominion 2007 Reserve Merlot, Estate Bottled
• Best of Class Vinifera Red Blend: Paumanok Vineyards 2007 Assemblage
• Best of Class Vinifera Sparkling: Bedell Cellars 2006 Blanc de Blancs
• Double Gold medals:
Macari Vineyards & Winery Collina Red
Pellegrini Vineyards Vintner’s Pride Finale Bin “Ice-Style”
• Gold medals:
Harbes Family Vineyard Chardonnay Ice Wine
Jamesport Vineyards 2007 “Sidor” Reserve
Martha Clara Vineyards 2009 Chardonnay and 2010 Estate Reserve Riesling
Osprey’s Dominion Vineyards 2007 Reserve Merlot Estate Bottled
Paumanok Vineyards 2007 Assemblage, 2009 Riesling Late Harvest and Sauvignon Blanc Late
Sparkling Pointe 2007 Brut
Wölffer Estate Vineyard 2010 Diosa Late Harvest
• Silver medals:
Castello di Borghese 2007 Cabernet Franc
Clovis Point 2007 Cabernet Franc and 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon
Macari Vineyards and Winery 2010 Rosé, 2010 Riesling, 2008 Dos Aguas and 2008 Block E
One Woman Wines & Vineyard 2008 Estate Reserve Chardonnay, 2008 Chardonnay and 2010 Gewürtraminer
Osprey’s Dominion 2010 Unwooded Chardonnay, 2010 Edelzwicker, 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon and 2007 Meritage “Flight”
Palmer Vineyards 2010 Sauvignon Blanc, 2010 Pinot Blanc and 2008 Cabernet Franc
• Bronze medals:
Macari Vineyards and Winerys 2008 Cabernet Franc
One Woman Wines & Vineyard 2010 Gruner Veltiner
Osprey’s Dominion 2010 Sauvignon Blanc Dessert Wine and 2009 Riesling
Palmer Vineyards 2008 Reserve Chardonnay and 2010 Albarino
2011 Atlantic Seaboard Wine Association Wine Competition — July, Haymarket, VA
The competition included 118 wineries from 11 states along the Atlantic Seaboard.
• Best In Show: Best Wine on the East Coast: Martha Clara Vineyards 2010 Estate Reserve Riesling
• Best in Category: Martha Clara Vineyards 2010 So Vin Yon Blonk
• Silver Medal:
Vineyard 48 White Table Wine
• Bronze Medal:
Brooklyn Oenology 2010 Shindig
Harbes Family Farm & Vineyard 2007 Blue Mack
Martha Clara Vineyards 2007 Clusters
Vineyard 48 2010 Riesling
2011 San Francisco International Wine Competition — June, San Francisco, CA
A total of 4184 wines participated. Entries were submitted by 1200 wineries from 29 countries and 20 states.
• Silver Medal: Sparkling Pointe NV Topaz Imperial, 2005 Blanc de Blanc and NV Cuvée Carnaval
• Bronze Medal: Sparkling Pointe 2001 Brut Seduction
2011 Los Angeles International Wine Competition — May, Pomona, CA
Nearly 3,200 wines were entered and many varietals and price ranges were represented.
• Best in Class: Gold Medal, Sparkling Pointe 2001 Brut Seduction
• Silver Medal: Sparkling Pointe 2007 Brut, NV Topaz Imperial and 2005 Blanc de Blanc
• Bronze Medal: Sparkling Pointe NV Cuvée Carnaval
2011 Critics Challenge International Wine Competition — May, San Diego, CA
1,380 wines entered. Critics Challenge recognizes exceptional wines with silver and gold awards, with a handful attaining platinum status by advancing to the championship rounds.
• Platinum Medal
Sherwood House Vineyards 2008 Chardonnay
Sparkling Pointe 2007 Brut and NV Topaz Imperial
• Gold Medal
• Silver Medal
Sherwood House Vineyards 2006 Sherwood Manor, Estate Grown
Sparkling Pointe 2005 Blanc de Blanc and NV Cuvée Carnaval
2011 New York International Wine Competition — May, New York, NY
The New York International Wine Competition welcomed 726 submissions from 17 countries and 14 states within the United States.
• Bronze Medal: Sparkling Pointe NV Topaz Imperial and 2005 Blanc de Blanc
2011 Tasters Guild International Wine Competition — May, Grand Rapids, MI
Approximately 2,000 wines from over 15 countries and 30 states and provinces throughout the world were evaluated. Tasters Guild International is a Wine and Food Appreciation Society based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
• Silver Medal: Sparkling Pointe NV Topaz Imperial and 2005 Blanc de Blanc
• Bronze Medal: Sparkling Pointe 2001 Brut Seduction and NV Cuvée Carnaval